Monday, June 28, 2004

"Gets nasty at the poker table"

Before I continue our vacation saga I must share this poker story. Friday night I decided to enter the 9:00 PM No limit holdem freeroll at Paradise POker. Top 50 earn a spot in the final tournament to win a trip to Europe. Odds almost the same as winning the mega lottery. Any rate there were almost 4000 players. We started out with 1500 in chips. I held my own for a long time, then I took a bad beat. I do not even recall what it was but I think my top two pair got burned on the river by a gut shot straight. This entire time I had been minding my own business with saying an occasionally "good hand". These two players started bantering childlishly back and forth. Using names that just are not appropriate for a poker table. The were acting like teen agers. Well the worst of the two got moved to another table, so things were back to an enjoyable atmosphere.

I later had a set get beat by a larger set so I was down to about $900. Guess who comes back to the table. Yep, Mr. Potty mouth. He also liked to go all in. As soon as he sat down he started attacking me. Called me all kinds of names. One of which was ... velvetta cheese... I simply stated "I have been here minding my own business and you have to attack me. What gives with that? Are you sure your are old enough to be at this site?" The insults kept flying. By the way this bozo also liked to go "all-in". Being down to $900 I needed to make a move. I was dealt QQ. Bozo went all-in, so I immediately called. Everyone else folded. He of course had trash and I doubled up. The very next hand I am dealt QQ. Thats right again! Back to back pocket ladies! Mr. Potty mouth again goes all-in again. I immediately call. I doubled up again! You could sense cheers around the table. Oh when this started he had roughly $30K. The third had I get dealt pocket Kings. Yes that is three pocket pairs in a row. The pre-schooler went all-in again and this time I called. I think at least two other persons called. A king hit the flop! I won again! I had gone from $900 to $17K in three hands. I was patient and about 5 hands later I was head to head with Mr. insult. Of course he went all-in and I called. I had him out chipped! I eliminated him from the table. There were cheers and rejoicing! I think if it had been a true brick and mortar everyone at the table would have bought me a drink.

I believe it was pure luck. A more realistic belief might be that the algorithm at paradise is anything but random! Finally perhaps it is he who talks smack eventually gets smacked!

I worked my way up to about $40K. Unfortunately I got to conservative. I had top two pair get beat by another straight at the river. That was a $10 K hit. Hind site I should have continued to be aggressive. I got moved to a table were there were some larger stacks. Bottom line is that I finished 121st!

When I play online poker I try to make it a pleasant experience for everyone. I did not rub those three hands in a row in, but if he could have only seen my smile when I eliminated him.

Play on! Be NICE!

No comments: