Sunday, March 12, 2006

"ACE"

OK! I have given up numerous things for Lent of which the most tempting, on-line poker. In reality it has not been that difficult to not play on-line poker, but it has only been week 1. Along with on-line poker, I gave up popcorn, sodas, chocolate, candy, sex (just kidding), and desserts.

I did not give up watching poker on television. So I live vicariously through others. I have not started the web project that is supposed to fill my time, but I have been catching up on some well deserved sleep.

I have been reading a few pages of David Sklansky's "Tournament Poker for Advanced Players". I stole this book from my brother. It is an OK read and there have been a few points of value. I have not found the math portions very useful, but my two brain cells are not keen on math these days. Unless it is helping the 6 year old add 6 + 4. I will probably give a summary of my take aways from this book in the near future.

I am greatly looking forward to playing in the AWPBT. I will essentially be away from the family all day, so I will not be able to do the Sixth Street Adventure and partying following the tournament. I will need to get home and tuck in the kids.

Speaking of kids, we have a new addition to the family. Yesterday we adopted ACE. Ace is a female cat approximately 6 months old. We adopted her from the Williamson County Humane Society. We spent the entire day yesterday going to various animal shelters. We found Ace at our very first stop. The entire day the kids kept chanting "Ace! Ace! Ace!". I felt like I needed an ace to win a tournament or stay alive in a tournament. After the full days adventure, including lunch at Austin Java Company on Barton Springs, we ended up listening to the kids.

We have a miniature Schnauzer, so we new there would be some work to do. Our dogs name is Ash and she attacks any stranger, so we knew it would be no different with a cat. My wife took the dog outside and was holding her by the leash. I brought Ace into the family room near the French door. I was warned not to hold her when introducing her to the dog. Well before I could get her down Ash barked. The cat hissed and dug all billion of her claws into my hands and my right leg as she exited stage right. OUCH! This is one time I should have listened!

Any rate we have a new addition to the family. My wife got very little sleep last night, but we hope all will work out. We have locked the dog in the pantry and we are letting Ace explore the house. First chore is get her acclimated to her litter box!! Boy I hope that does not take long. I think over time the dog and cat will bond or learn to be mutually exclusive.

I am looking forward to visiting with poker bloggers next Saturday. I will just say for the record, that I probably will not remember everyone's names, but I still routinely indulge in reading everyone's blog. I can no longer waste lunch hours at work, something to do with Corporate Policy. I do not like sites being blocked, but I do respect it. I am getting busier at work and I am truly enjoying it.

I am preparing to be mentally on top of my game Saturday, so bloggers beware. I just might make it past the first round. Wink! Wink!

Play on!

No comments: