Monday, October 04, 2004

"The Big Gamble Fails Again!"

For the past 4 years I have been playing the big gamble. The gamble is working for a start-up software company in hopes of making those stock options pay off big. Well on 9/20 the big gamble failed again! The CEO calls a meeting and tells everyone that the company is being sold, so here is your two weeks severance. Wahooooieee! Sweat equity results in a grand total of 2 weeks severance. Now the big question is do I gamble again? I think working for a start-up software company is like hoping for the inside straight draw on the river.

Speaking of poker I was in a $1/2 game yesterday. I got pocket Kings early and pressed the betting to the max. The board showed three fours. You guessed it! At the show down the "A" man turned over pocket aces. I lost most of my $40 buy in in one smooth smack. I hung in there until the host decided to switch to a round of no limit holdem. I had AQo. The board flops an Ace, but three hearts. I bet $10, which was half my stack. I get called by the "D" man. The turn is the king of hearts. I have to take a peek at my hole cards. I beg - Please be the Queen of hearts!! Sure enough it is, so I have the nut flush. I go all-in. "D" man calls my $11 wager. Yes! Rags to riches story! I had been down as low as $8. I ended up leaving an hour late to the ire of the Mrs.. I did profit a grand total of $12 after paying for my Guinnesses!

Thanks to Wiggy for hosting and providing the delicious venison sausage and fajitas! This week I will have to make the decision once again on the big gamble. Tough one when you do not have a read!

Play on!

No comments: