Thursday, June 16, 2005

"To Slow Play or not to ..."

To slow play or not to slow play, that is the question? "Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to sufferThe slings and arrows of outrageous fortune" Shakespeare I am definitely not, but when it comes to slow play I now have a very strong opinion - "NEVER freaking Slow Play!"

The great poker gods bestowed me yesterday afternoon with a Party Poker cap and $100 in my account for which to gamble. I quit playing Party Poker for I disagree with Iggy in that for me it is the home of suck outs and predictable endings. Who can laugh a gift horse in the eyes, so I set out to win some money.

I was in the big blind and limped in holding A2o (Limit Holdem $.5/1). The flop brings 228. I check! Everyone checks around! Turn brings a flush draw! I bet! The world calls my bet! The river is the destined diamond! I bet! I get raised! I reluctantly call knowing that I will see the diamond flush. Perhaps this calling station would have stayed to the river no matter what move I make, but from now on I am making the move.

Very next hand in the small blind I have Q8o. I limp in for another quarter. The flop brings me a queen. I bet out! Numerous callers! Turn brings an 8! I bet again! Two callers! River brings a flush possibility. I lose! I am down $12!

In the course of two hours I tried my luck at Omaha H/L. My set of aces do not fill and I lose a huge pot to a straight. I am down another $12.

I decide to play Seven stud H/L. I fill a Jack high straight on the turn. I lose to a flush! I am down another $15. "Good night, good night! Parting is such sweet sorrow." Perhaps I should stop playing poker and indulge in the words of Shakespeare.

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes." I put the kids to bed and continue playing Limit Holdem. Was winning for awhile, but then I started hoping and praying for the nut flushes on the river. Oh well the bottom line is that I lost half of my found money and played 170 hands. The promotion requires me to play 500 hands. Will I lose the bankrolll before I get there or shall my fortunes turn.

"I go, and it is done; the bell invites me. Hear it not, Duncan, for it is a knell That summons thee to heaven or to hell."

New bumper sticker in development - "Don't Slow Play"

Play on

No comments: