Monday, December 06, 2004

"Stars are misaligned"

There will not be much poker content in this post tonight although the over view of the Universe definitely applies to poker. Ever been on a losing streak?

Recently it seems as though the Stars are not quite aligned perfectly for our family. I posted awhile back about getting laid off and the elderly gentleman smashing into the side of our new car. Well it seems that we are now in round two.

A week ago the hard drive crashed on our new laptop. Of course it would not have been so bad if we had been doing routine back ups. Hey that is why we bought the external hard drive. I would not have been so bad except my better half had just downloaded all of our great Halloween pictures and more. Not to mention that all the indexes associated with the pictures on the external drive. We went as far as paying Best Buy $90 to attempt to recover the data. Oh wait we went even farther than that. I secured a copy of GetDataBack so that Best Buy could try to recover the data. A very trusted programmer assured me that it would work. Well Best Buy just called and stated that they could not get any data from the hard drive. Now it has to be shipped off to Toshiba for repair. Man that sucks! I requested they return the drive to me so that I can try myself to retrieve the information from the media. This was definitely a bad beat. When we get it back we had better set up automatic incremental back ups or my poker playing days are probably over!! I think there is a business potential here somewhere retrieving data. I am going to investigate further.

Prior to this the hard drive on my PC crashed. I believe the drive is under warranty, but it is in an HP and is nearly impossible to swap out. Hopefully Best Buy did not put in that hard to reach screw. This is minor compared to the laptop because I intentionally kept anythin important off that machine.

Now this evening came strike 3. On November 11, 2004 we bought a new 27 inch Phillips TV. I am watching one of my favorite shows, Las Vegas. :o) When all of a sudden I hear a loud pop. No more picture and perhaps no more TV. I unplugged it and plugged it back in. It comes on but the picture looks like a bunch of lines doing the hula. I managed to lower the monster to the floor and drag it into the garage with a blanket. I loaded it up in the van, so it can be taken to Best Buy. Hmmmmm! Perhaps I should buy stock in Best Buy or better yet just move into the store. My better half insisted on buying the service agreement. Ok she was right once again.

Enough whining, but I really think the stars are misaligned over our house!

Ok one more quick bitch about poker. I have been playing the new Check N Raise Poker site since it opened. The promised me all of these great bonuses. Well they did give me $106, however, if I calculated it correctly ( at the stakes I play), I am looking at playing over 7200 hands to obtain that bonus. I had to earn 400 CNR Credits to get my first $25 and 400 for each $25 thereafter. This is a total rip off! I probably would have been better off totally cashing out and joining other sites with sign up bonuses. Oh well! I like the people that moved from TNT poker to this site.

Play on!

No comments: