Friday, November 26, 2004

"We Three Poker Tournies"

We returned a little while ago from Elgin Texas where we took a hay ride and cut down our own Christmas tree. Afterwards we made a pit stop to Meyer's BBQ. The whole event puts you in the Christmas spirit. Historically we have always put up a huge artificial tree, but this season we decided it was to big. I still need to put lights on the tree, but we will save that for another story. Most of our decorations are up with the tree and outdoor lighting left to do. I think this is the earliest we have gotten started on getting decorated for Christmas.

Now on to the important stuff!

Last Sunday I played in a Razz tournament in the backroom of a liquor store. The Guinness was cold! He-he! There were 8 players. I had never played Razz before, so if promised to be fun. Early on I had a wheel on the turn. I was betting the heck out of it. Well what happens is the person calling me also had a wheel. What a waste of a goof hand. I think I was only involved in two other major hands. I won a huge pot with the nuts with a 75 low. My opponent had 76 as the best hand he could make. He had it, but I was one better. The great part was that I caught my nut low on the river. Well the real frustrating part was that when the blinds got up to where they were meaningful it seemed like every hand I had to bring it in with a King. That will churn through your stack quickly. Long and short of it is that I thought I played by the book, but I was knocked out when I was drawing on the river to get a 7 low. I think I had about 9 outs. I hit a 7, which gave me a pocket pair and left me with a ten low. I was pot committed so I pushed it in and lost to a nine low. Needless to say I was out 6th.

Tourny Two was on Paradise Poker. Action has been a little boring on the net, so I jumped into a Sit N Go of Stud H/L. I played conservatively and ended up in the top three. I was the chip lead for a while then the hand that killed me came. I had a King high flush, so I was betting like crazy and it put me all-in. There was no one showing a low hand, so I thought I was about to take a huge chip lead. ooops! Think again, because my opponent had an ace high flush. Out in third place, but in the money!

Tourny three took place on Thanksgiving night. I ate way way to much and I also started drinking at 8:00 AM. I smoked two boneless turkey breasts that turned out great! My better half made a delicious sweet potato/apple cobbler with a bourbon sauce. Our friends came over bringing delicious mashed potatoes containing sour cream, cream cheese and nutmeg. The also brought a cranberry sausage stuffing and a spinach casserole. Man every thing was fabulous. The wine they brought was called Menage a Trios. Yes it is an interesting name for a wine. it went extremely well with the the smoked turkey. Here is how the label read -

"Discover the excitement of our Menage a' Trois. Expand your horizon with the stunning delectable wine. Soft floral aroma and gentle caressing fruit flavors leave you wishing for more. 2003 and was 46% Chardonnay, 38%, Muscat Canelli, and 16% Chenin Blanc. Bottled by Folie A Deux Winery in Napa Valley."

Excellent wine with an interesting name!!

Oops I digressed from the tournament. I did not make it to the main $30 buy-in tournament at 9:00 PM. I managed to show up around 10:30 PM. I helped deal the main table for awhile. Then they got a cash game going dealers choice. I had only $20 to my name. I got down to $8 at one point. The played crazy games like Mexican sweat and guts. In guts it was match the pot and you had to beat a "widow hand" (one game the widow got 3 cards to our 2 - totally sucked). I was dealt AJ and I folded it. it was a good thing because that "widow" hand had AQ. I managed to win a few hands and I teetered around my original $20. The final hand of the cash game was 7 stud. The pot was huge. I knew Mr. T had a flush. I was drawing to the nut flush. I looked around and saw very few diamonds on the board. I had to gamble and see if I could nail the flush on the river. I did! Wahoo I won $20. At around 12:30 AM they started another NL Holdem tournament and I bought in for the $20. I played my normal conservative yet aggressive game. Twice however "Big slick" got me into trouble and I had to let it go. Everyone started with $100 in chips and there were 8 players. I got down to $27. I was essentially forced to go All-in when I was in the Big Blind. I doubled up. I managed to slowly but surely put the pressure on and gather chips. The one hand I was not involved in I have to share. Mr. D is going to be cursing about this one for a long time. Mr. D had pocket tens. Flop came KJ9. The turn lands a beautiful Queen. Mr. D goes all-in. He gets one caller. Mr. D turns over his straight. The caller turns over A9. The river brings a ten. Mr. D was ready to rake the pot, then he goes oh no we split it. Then the realization hits that the caller had an ace high straight. Mr. D is a little angry to save the least. The tourny pays only the final two. I managed to play extremely conservatively and pushed a couple of hands when I knew I had the better of it. Well I made it to the final two. I am happy, but of course I wanted to win the big prize. The cards dried up and I had to fold the BB at least twice. I was down to my final $115 and the BB was $40. I put in the BB and I had T7. Arghhh! I got to see the flop for free and it came QJ9. I go all-in with the open ended straight draw. My enemy calls! Sigh! He turns over T5. I am like yes I got him. Rag on the turn. I am about to win a HUGE pot and a shot at the $120. River brings a FIVE. I am out as number 2 and I win $40.

It was a great turkey day! We missed our friends and family, but we had fun! I am looking forward to smoking more turkeys and I think there should be a poker game every Thanksgiving!

PLAY ON!




No comments: