Wednesday, March 16, 2005

"Patience"

Lets see what Webster's has to say.

1 : bearing pains or trials calmly or without complaint
2 : steadfast despite opposition, difficulty, or adversity

The main reason I selected patience as the word of the day is somehow a database schema got dropped at work. It is a little frustrating because now I have to re-import the data. I was hoping for a smooth morning and this is trying my patience.

After looking up "patience" in the dictionary I find it very interesting how applicable the word is to poker. "Bearing pains" happens often at the poker table when you pocket kings gets whomped by a small straight at the river and it really does little good to "complain".

"Steadfast despite opposition" is also very accurate for poker, especially in a tournament situation and poker provides a ton of adversity.

Speaking of patience, I was very patient last Friday night in a $5 NL Holdem tournament at Check N Raise. I do not remember to many specifics except as usual to place in the money it took two all-in river snags to remain alive. I had managed to make my way to the cheap lead with only 4 players left out of 32. Other than the two lucky river snags I played well and very patient. Hey I even dropped pocket Kings. I think for the first time ever! The board had an ace and a potential flush. It turned out to be a very wise lay down. I do remember putting one of the players all-in when I had pocket jacks. To my chagrin he had pocket queens. There goes a huge portion of my stack. The very next hand I caugh KQo. I am in the money, so I decided to push all-in. The guy who had the pocket ladies called me. Crap this time he had the pocket Jacks and of course they hold up, knocking me out 4th. Not bad winning $28, since it cost me nothing to get in.

Saturday night I was playing at 24HPoker. Of course I was playing a 5 card draw table and a holdem table for a $25 investment. I was in the BB on the 5 card draw table with two pair 4s and 7s. Everyone limped so I drew one card. Wow it is a 4. I bet the Pot, which was about $5. Another player who drew one card goes over the top for another $9. Shit! Could he have filled a boat also. Nah the odds are against it! I call! Well his boat nines over threes placed a whooping on me. I managed to lose both bankrolls at the two tables. Enough to bring tears to your eyes. Since then I have managed to win back about $15 of it. I have enough VIP points to get $10, but it looks like the SOBs are going to make me earn the entire 400 VIP points before I see any of the bonus. I thought I would get $10 each time I hit 100 VIP points. Most likely I did not read the small print.

Well our daughter woke me up at 12:30 AM with a painful ear ache. We gave her ibuprofen and she slept for a little while. I gave her another dose just before I left for the office. I am sure my day is going to be messed up despite the amount of work I need to do. So the key here is "patience".

Obviously I would like to publish every day, but that definitely does not seem to be a reality. At least I seem to find time once a week!

A big thanks to April at http://www.thisisnotapokerblog.com for adding me to her web site. It is nice to read other Austin blogs.

Well hopefully we will be heading to Houston this weekend to celebrate my Mom's 29th birthday. I am a little worried about our daughter, but an ear ache should not prevent this quick trip to the big city.

I do believe that "Patience is a virtue!" I am working on it!

Play on

No comments: