Wednesday, March 09, 2005

“A whole lot of Nothin”

I have not posted in a little while due to this crazy cough. I did not sleep for two entire nights and finally called the Doctor. He prescribed some cough medicine with codeine and I was finally able to get some sleep. I am still not back to my normal self. My guess is that is will take several more weeks. I do know that I need to quit taking the cough medicine, because now it is keeping me awake rather than making me sleepy.

I have managed to play a little poker here and there but not a whole lot of excitement. I really enjoy playing 5-card draw at 24HPoker. While I am playing draw I usually also play a limit holdem game. Most of the time I break even or come out a little bit ahead. I did have three specific hands to mention.

In 5-card draw I was in the small blind so it was only $.25 to call and draw cards. I had four spades so it was worth the effort. I got my fifth spade. I was excited and made a modest raise. The BB who had also only taken one card went over the top of me to match the pot, $9.25. Hmmmm! I made the mistake of calling. Sure enough he had a boat.

In 5-card I was dealt a pat flush. I raised the pot $2.25. I got one caller. The caller took one card. I raised the pot again. He re-raised $5 more. I felt I was pot committed so I called. Yep again he had a boat.

Here is the hand I regret, but would do the same again. Most of the players at this site are like me, solid and cautious players. We all occasionally make our bluffs at the pot. This one particular day there was this guy to my left. He was chatting some smack, which in itself is unusual for this site. Very little chat and usually it is in German or some other language. Sure it supposed to be English only, but I really do not mind. I was dealt 3 jacks. I raised to $1.25 prior to getting cards. The mouth next to me calls. I draw 2 cards and they were blanks. He stands pat. I checked to see what his move was. He raised $6.00. I folded only to see him show his cards A2347. I knew in my soul that he was bluffing, but I did not figure the earning potential was worth the risk. I sure wish I would have called his bluff. Oh well! I am going to remain conservative and continue to protect and grow my bankroll.

I was down all the way to $30 at this site and now I am still hovering around $100. I only play this site on the kids PC, so I am not playing as often as I like.

I missed coaching the Yellow jackets first soccer game and our son also missed the game. I am looking forward to coaching these great kids. This season we have 3 boys and 3 girls. Now our daughters team is a different story. I got a phone call from the league commissioner, assuming he wanted me to coach. I called him back the very next day. He never returned my call. I called him again and was told he was out of town. In the mean time he calls my friend Mr. A. and asks him to coach. No problem with me. Two days before the first scheduled game we did not have a roster. Turns out we only had 4 girls on the team, which is just enough to field a team. Sure 8 year old girls could play for 48 minutes straight. Coach A had the wisdom to reschedule game 1, but then the idiots scheduled a second game for the first weekend. Coach A got that rescheduled and come to find out we are down to 3 girls. Total disorganization and I would be happy at this point to get our money back and invest it in some other activity.

Right now I am sitting on a nice park picnic table typing this little blurb. Our son is having a blast as usual.

I wanted to chime in real quick on the new reality TV show, The Contender. Yes I am a reality junky! Fear Factor, Amazing Race, and Survivor are can’t miss shows. Any rate I enjoyed the contender. They really have some legit fighters. I was really shocked by the first match and really thought Gomez was going to get hammered. Good thing I do not bet on boxing!! The show had bad ratings, but I taped American Idol and watched it live. I will watch it again.

We are supposed to head to Houston in a couple weekends. I hope I am fully recovered by then and things are stable at the office. Hopefully, we can celebrate my Mom’s birthday. Happy ‘early” Birthday Mom!

I can’t not think of anything else to comment on, so continue to play smart and invest wisely. Hopefully in the near future I will catch a bluffer red handed and rake the pot.

Play on!

No comments: