Tuesday, July 26, 2005

"Five of a kind"

I have not been overly motivated to blog lately. Work has been taking a toll on me. Things are beginning to settle down, so I thought I would share this little story. Sorry but this story has nothing to do with poker.

This Saturday my entire family met at SeaWorld at San Antonio. My sister's family from Phoenix. My Mom, Dad, Brother and his family, and my other Sister and her family from Houston.

I know we had a great time, but hurding five families, containing 9 grandchildren around a crowded park is not an easy task. We decided to top of the event by seeing Shamu Rocks Texas. Our 8 year old insisted on sitting in the splash zone. Myself, our daughter, our son, and 4 cousins all took seats in the front row right in front of the glass. At least I had the foresight to hand my backpack to my sister. I wish I would have handed her my Texas Longhorn cowboy hat. Oh well!

The music began and Shamu comes zooming out and does a huge flip in the center of the pool. The full house rocks with excitement. Next I look through the glass to see "5 of a kind". They were black and white, but definitely not spades or clubs. Then I look above the pool to see another "five of a kind". Five large white tails. I started laughing my ass off, because I knew what was about to happen. I grabbed my Longhorn hat from my head and tucked it under my chest. What a waste of energy. Those five tails pushed so much freakin water over the glass barrier that they need to change the name from splashzone to Tidal Wave. Instantly soaked only to have two more walls of water come right at us.

The Tidal Wave subsided. I look at our daughter and she is bawling her eyes out and screaming at the top of her lungs "It hurts". "What hurts?" "My foot!" "Why does your foot hurt?" "My blister." I then look at our son. Now he is crying too. "We want out of here." I lead them up the stairs through the crowd. knowing that for us the show was over. Our daughter cried the entire time. All I could do was worry about my nieces and nephews whom we abandoned. I had to trust the fact that three of them were old enough to know what they needed to do to find us after the show. We left them laughing almost as hard as I was.

This put a little negative on otherwise what I thought was a fun day. Thanks to Grandma we saved $24 on the tickets. I did not appreciate the pile of puke in front of the ticket booth. The event definitely did not start off on the right foot. It also took us 1 hour to get out of Austin. TXDOT needs to only work nights.

Lessons learned are:

If you have children under 10 years of age and they want to go to the splash zone, just say no!

If you want to want to smell like a salty fish, then sit in the splash zone.

If you wear your favorite hat do not worry about protecting it. Note: Plan to air it out to get rid of the fish smell.

If you have a blister and salt water gets in. It burns! Wear socks! Or insist your children wear socks even if they do not want to.

You can not beat "5 of a kind"!

Play on!

No comments: