Wednesday, November 01, 2006

“Yet another Bubble Finish”

This was an interesting way to finish in a tournament. I was invited to a local home game and I decided to check it out. It was a great group of guys and I had a ton of fun. Of course I did not like how it ended, but I think it was totally my fault for not thinking ahead.

The blinds were ridiculously high ($8k - $16) and we were down to 4 players. I made it through one orbit and I had passed up an all-in opportunity with A8o. I think this was a hand I would later regret not playing. The player to my left was down to a single $1K chip. I had $21K. I had enough for the BB, but the cards were horrible and I had to muck them in hopes that the short stack would get knocked out. What I did not anticipate was that he would become the big blind with only $1K and I was in the the small blind with $5K. With the amount that low of course the chip lead called us. The BB turned over AKs. The chip lead turned over A5o and I had QTo. There was no help for anyone, so the BB won the pot, I lost to the A5 and was out on the bubble. The funny part of the story however is that the person with a single chip ended up doubling up like 7 times in a row and finished in 2nd place.

This all boils down to me not managing my chips properly and paying attention to the blinds. On the previous orbit when I had A8o and some chips, I should have taken my chances against the chip lead, who was to my right. If he calls and I win I would have had enough chips for another round or two.

Over-all I played well and was the chip leader for a long time. I did lose half my chips when top pair on the flop lost to pocket aces. I new he had aces, but the pots odds were appropriate to call and I had the large chip stack.

We played a second tournament, but I could not make any cards nor put in any good positions to make a bluff at the pot. I finally went all in with pocket 7’s. I got one caller. The flop came 3J7 all spades. I was excited to see my set hit only to realize the caller had AT of spades. The board did not pair, so I was on my home!

This group plays every Monday night. It is doubtful my better half will permit me to play every Monday, but I am going to shoot for twice per month.

Another big weekend coming up, but I am taking our son to the Longhorn game Saturday night. It should be a blast.

Go Horns!

No comments: