Sunday, October 23, 2005

"Birds and I"

I am a little disappointed that my entry from Friday did not get saved in blogspot. Oh Well!

Friday morning I had the pleasure of playing poker on the upper deck at Whole Foods downtown. There I was with a bottled water, bag of pretzels, and a computer. I was playing NL holdem and CNR and my only witness was the birds. Not the most attractive birds mind you, but they were a friendly lot, because I had pretzels. One poor bird had a crooked leg. Of course I felt sorry for him. The birds eyed me as I won this hand. I had a king high flush at the turn. I simply made a modest bet to see if anyone had the nut flush. A player to my right went all-in. I pondered for just a second and I called with my $8.50. He ended up having a flush as I suspected, but not good enough. The birds scattered as I shouted with excitement.

Thursday night I had a good night winning about $35 on CNR. I was a little bored with Holdem, so I played some 5-card and some Omaha-8. In draw I was losing my shirt. I was dealt two pair Qs & 3s. I did not take any cards and raised the maximum. Fortunately everyone folded and I was only down $.30, so I got up from the table. I won several large pots in Omaha-8.

Go Astros! The just tied it! I thought they were doomed after giving up the grand slam in the 7th.

I need to recap a terrific weekend, then I will quickly summarize my Blogger tourny experience. Our daughter's soccer team was in a tournament this weekend. Their first game was Sat. morning at 9:15 AM. Our daughter was put in as goalie and the game ended in 0-0 tie. She boomed some punts. We were so proud of her. Unfortunately I missed the next two games because I got to go to the Longhorns game. We put a whooping on Texas Tech. The pre-game warm up at the Dog and Duck was great! After the football game we went to the Sierra Nevada tailgate party and had a beer. Back to the Dog and Duck until traffic calmed down. I called to see how our daughter's team did in the other two games. They lost 3-1 in game two. She gave up two goals, but she said they were really good shots. The third game they won 1-0. They played in the semi-finals this morning and unfortunatly lost 2-0. Alex gave up both goals. One of the goals should not have happened. Another soccer ball rolled onto the field and several players were disrupted. The ref should have stopped play. Regardless they played a great game. Our daughter did a super job on defense.

Man! Lidge just gave up the game winning home run. Damn!

After the Horns victory I went to a Halloween Party. There was an amazing spread of food. They had poets, then the grand finale was a flame dancer. I had a good time and got home before midnight. I played a little bit if poker before turning in, but I pretty much broke even on the night.

OK! The blogger tournament was fun! It lasted 5 hads and I was out #1442. First of all I had know clue there would be that many players. I was at the table long enough to get the URL's of my opponents. Everyone was really super nice. The players at the table were

Morlith - pokerwolf.blogspot.com
Maudie - kebzweb.com
KAP_Player - kickasspoker.com
Alceste - the-misanthrope.blogspot.com
bbzghost - bbzghost.blogspot.com
ekillian - ekillian.blogspot.com
smoke404
Kwils21 - caught upinthe craze.blogspot.com

Sorry I do not have time at the moment to convert these to links. I will try to edit this post later.

My first hand was AK suited. I raised $80. Everyone folded, so I was won the blinds.

Second hand was AQ. Flop came T6Q. I bet and was raised. I ended up calling the other player to the river and lost to a set of tens. I did not even take the time to attempt to evaluate what he had.

Now down to $600 I play my fifth hand. I look at the screen to see AK suited (spades) again. Definitely need to go all-in. The big stack calls me and turns over TJ of spades. I like the odds. Damn if a jack hit on the flop and I got no help. I would have liked to play longer, but I knew with that many players I need to play good hands and build a stack quickly. I checked in on BurntOrnge and he was doing well. I could not find April or any other Austinites. I think I did see Poker Ninja.

It worked out just fine, because I got to take the kids to hit baseballs.

I should be in bed! I caught a second wind. We watched the movie, "The Interpreter". It was a little slow for my tastes, so I think I got in a couple cat naps. I am going to play a little Omaha-8, then turn in. It was a great weekend!

Tomorrow I get to go to our new office only 6 miles from my house.

Play on!

No comments: