Thursday, October 13, 2005

"Fold Dummy"

My sincerest apologies for not publishing more frequently. I have numerous excuses, but you shall be spared the details.

I really have not played much serious poker lately. In fact the site that has most of my bankroll is shutdown. Check N Raise poker is apparently moving its affilation to I think Poker Nation. Hopefully it will mean more players and more profit for me. I would like to play some low limit Omaha-8 again. We used to have so much fun on TNT. Lately there has been very little chat at the tables. I have been playing $2 buy-in NL Holdem ring games on Paradise. I have been doing OK, but occasionally I just can not lay down the cards.

Example 1 - 8T (Spades) - Flop is 69 (spades) and a red card

I have an inside straight flush draw. Modest betting around the table with three players. I call. River is a Q of clubs. My attempt to isolate I raise $.25. One player calls. River is 4 of spades, making my flush. I bet $.25. I get raised, putting me all in for another $1.35. I know he has a larger spade than the ten. There is about $3 in the pot. I called knowing damn well I was beat. I do not know how to efficiently calculate pot odds, but betting $1.35 on a prayer I would win $3 was just plain foolish. I need to increase my discipline and lay this one down.

Example 2 - K9o in the BB - flop comes 35T (all spades)

I am holding the King of spades, so I make a decent bet to isolate. Of course I get two callers. Turn is a King, so now I have top pair. I make a decent wager. I get one caller. The river of course is a spade. I make a modest bet at the pot. Yup! I get raised putting me all-in. Does he really have the Ace of spades. But of course he does and I again lose my stack.

I am really going to work on my discipline. My gut was correct both time and I gave away money. I know there will be times when folding a decent hand will be to a total bluff, but there are times when is better to live another day and wait for the NUTS. I know when I do get the NUTS at this site it is usually lucrative. Well as lucrative and a $2 can be!

I do have another small poker dilemma. I have about $75 burning a hole in my online bankroll. What would be the best site to invest these monies? Of course I am looking for a deposit bonus and I am also willing to use someone's code so you too can benefit. I am just not sure what site will be fun! I am looking for some low limit ring games with some fun people. I will take any and all suggestions. I am ready for a change of pace.

By the way April your puppy is adorable, especially in the Longhorn jersey! Daddy Scott I must say you have been blessed with a beautiful child. Let's hope he follows the career path of Mom!

Four soccer games this weekend, so we will be busy! Hopefully the Horns will mop the stadium with some Buffalo hide on Saturday. I most likely will miss the game due to soccer games. Perhaps I should invest in a portable radio and some batteries. It looks like I have a chance to go to the Texas Tech game. I would love for both teams to be undefeated. We can show those Raiders what football is really like!

Have a super weekend! I will try my best to get back to posting a couple of times per week. My other blog is keeping me busy too!

Fold Fold Fold

No comments: