Monday, August 22, 2005

"A TRIBUTE"

At 7:5AM EST a great man passed away this morning. He is my grandfather, Charles A Leet. I am very sad and uncertain as to the near term future. I will make it to Geneva Ohio to pay tribute to this great man. Not sure how yet, but I will make it!

I am very sad! In my sorrow I must pay a tribute to my Grandfather. I also must ask that God hold my mother and care for her! Dear God please guide our family through this time of sorrow.

"Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen!"

Charles A Leet was the kindest man. In my lifetime I only recall him raising his voice once in a negative way. It took a miraculous golf shot to raise the ire of my Grandfather. My brother and I had been hitting golf balls on the course where my Grandfather's home backed up to. My brother took careful aim and hit a 9 iron toward the house, which was protected by huge trees. We looked in amazement as that ball traveled the height of those huge trees and headed for the house. The little golf ball managed to dodge one billion branches and find its way to the large sliding glass door on the back of Grandpa's house. He was not happy and rightfully so!

I remember at a very young age my Grandfather would host parties at his house on Bathgate. One specific time he served Mai tai drinks to all of his guests. With me being a deviant child, I spent the day drinking down half full glasses of the delicious nectar. Yes this was the first time for me to get drunk. It was not pleasant at the age of ten vomiting and making my Dad pull over on the way home. This was either an omen or a first lesson in the life ahead of me.

I do not recall my age, but I do recall twice when my Grandfather went out of his way to surprise my brother and me. Once he took us horse back riding. He nervously watched us ride around the corral. The horse my brother was on was a bit feisty and bucked a few times. I am sure it made Grandpa a nervous wreck, but I know my brother and I appreciated every last second of our first time on a horse. One day he really surprised us by taking us up in a small airplane. I do not recall what kind of plane it was, but as a kid I always wondered how my Grandfather could spend so much money for us to be up in this plane. We flew along Lake Erie and I vividly remember seeing God's handy work and a rainbow of colors along the shores of a murky lake.

I am not sure I ever let him know how much he inspired me with those generous trips. I was around 12 or 13 years old and I was all about making money. I would rake leaves, shovel snow, and mow lawns to earn extra cash. My Grandfather was a realtor and asked me to mow some of his properties. I was glad my Dad had to tote me around, because some of the yards were huge. At least as I remember them. Receiving a check from my Grandfather was like receiving a pot of gold. I recall one day he asked me to mow his yard. Or perhaps I begged to mow it since it required a riding lawn mower. He showed me how to operate it and off I went. Of course I was going about it all wrong. He quickly came out to correct my technique. It seemed like it took forever that day to mow the grass, but heck it was on a riding lawn mower.

Holiday's at my Grandparents were always great. The one thing you could safely gamble on was the fact that at some point during the family gathering, Grandpa would play his electric organ. He loved experimenting with the drum beat and usually would play a peppy upbeat tune. I really wish he had the chance to hear our daughter play the piano. She plays beautifully and I hope his spirit fills her heart, so that she may continue to take on the challenge of practicing everyday. Yes I am crying at this point. It is Ok to grieve I guess, but I am trying to reflect on all of the wonderful things Grandpa provided us.

I am not just talking material things. His spirit was much much more than that. He traveled to Austin Texas for our wedding. My wife's family spoke very little English, yet he tried his best to fit in and make everyone comfortable. He went to El Paso Texas for the baptism of our daughter. Again he tried to fit in with everyone, despite the language barrier. Grandpa was fortunate and was able to travel to many places in the world. I believe he got along with everyone.

I am not sure how old I was, but either in High School or College. He told me an amazing story how he wanted to learn more about his family history. He started at the library. Either by word of mouth or via the library. He heard that there was a book somewhere in New York about the Leet family. He made the journey to find this book. Sure enough it was about his family. I believe it dated back to something like 1608. The really cool thing about it was the fact that his name was the last name in that book. The book ended with the birth of Charles A. Leet. I truly hope I can get access to that book. I am not sure I have the strength or the wisdom, but I think it would be truly great to continue that book and expand the legacy of Charles A. Leet.

The man was amazing and I am not sure I expressed often enough how he touched my heart. I am so glad that both of our children got to meet him. One hot summer we took him to Fredericksburg. It was extremely hot and it was difficult for Grandpa to keep up in the heat. He stopped in at a little store where they spun there own wool and made blankets etc... That day he ordered himself a handmade blanket from that little store. As usual he hit it off with store proprietor. I am sure he got a good deal on that blanket.

As I try to bring this tribute to conclusion I am in the middle of great debate. Do we take the kids out of school and make the long drive to Geneva Ohio or do I simply go and see this wonderful man alone? I know my Mom deep in her heart would want the kids there. I also know she understands the logistics and the cost to make that happen. I am confident that the Holy Spirit will guide me to the correct decision. I know I want my kids to remember him for his smile and caring demeanor. I am blessed in that I have had a lifetime of memories and our children only have a few brief encounters. I look forward to telling our children about my times with Grandpa and I hope they are blessed with some of his great traits.

We love you Grandpa! Thanks for everything you have provided this family. Your battle with Alzheimer's was a gallant one. I believe you are in good hands now. Please continue to fill us with your spirit and your guiding light. I hope you take the journey into heaven, knowing you have been a great influence to us all.

"Dear lord - please embrace my wonderful Mother. Hold her and hug her in this time of need. I will hold her and hug her, but she needs your strength to guide her and heal the loss of her father. I ask this in Christ our Lord! Amen!"

No comments: