Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Austin WPBT

In summary I had a great time. Adam did a super job hosting this event.

The tournament started out by me arriving completely on TILT. I hate being late for anything, so I left the house at noon. I should be able to travel 28 miles in less than an hour, right? I live near Round Rock, so I head down 620. Traffic is backed up from I-35 passed Round Rock High School, so I take short cut number one. I get to McNeil road and traffic at the light near I-35 is at a complete stand still. I commence the rapid U-turn and head for short/detour #2. I make it to 1325 where traffic seemed normal. I then proceed on my journey down South I-35. Keep in mind my wife banded me from I-35 in August 2002 after a near death experience with an 18-wheeler, so I am driving cautiously around 75 mph. Of course I had to slow down for one speed trap. I am doing great and the Google maps state to take exit 226B. That is strange I just passed the exit for Slaughter Lane, but I proceed to follow the directions. I am now lost on 1626 heading west. I make my first call to Adam at 12:50 PM. He had no clue where 1626 was. I keep heading west and the entire time I am starting to get on tilt. I finally decide I was to far west and turn around. I pull into a little gas station. The two gentlemen snicker at me and say “you just take this road here and down by the Albertson’s is Slaughter Ln.” Cool I head down that road. I get to Slaughter lane and now for the big decision, East or West. I turn west. I make yet another mistake. I get to Brodie Ln and decide it is time for a second call to Adam. Dude, I am at Brodie Ln. have I gone to far West. Of course he says yes! Another mile down the road I finally make a U-turn. I am thinking “Man this sucks!” It turned out that the road the two gentlemen sent me on was Manchaca. If I had only turned east I would have been one light away from the final destination. I drive right passed the house, but quickly turn around. There on the front lawn flagging me down was Scott. Geez! I had told Adam to just blind me out, but they graciously waited for my arrival. I am truly on Tilt at this point.

I draw my seat Table 2, seat 3. Going around the Table I have Jennifer, Jan, Jeremy, Marcus, and Mike. My first two cards are pocket pair of 6’s. I raise, then get re-raised. I let the pocket pair go. Two hands later I get pocket 8’s. I raise, then get re-raised again. I let this pair go. I am thinking to my self am I a wus or what. Now I am down a little over one third of my stack. I had poured myself a nice Guinness and placed it under my chair. Adam’s tables were so nice I definitely could not set a beer on the table. About the fifth hand and after only two sips from my beverage it is my turn to shuffle. I stand up and quickly kick my entire beer onto the floor. Tilt factor doubles. Adam quickly provides a towel and the beer is cleaned up. It was a good thing the home has stained concrete floors.

The first person busted out immediately left. I thought that was a little strange. Oh well! This is supposed to be a fun social event.

I settled down a little bit. At this table I only recall three hands. I had pocket 7’s and made a decent raise. Russ had moved to our table. He raised another $500. Damn! I had not seen his play. I thought he might have two high cards, but my gut said he had an over pair. I folded. The flop brought a 7, J, Q. I cringed a little bit for folding, but I felt Russ had a strong hand. At this point I realized there were coasters, so I opened my second Guinness. I needed it to calm the nerves.

I am now getting short stacked. I hate to get out of any tournament, but needed to start making some moves. I went all-in with A3s. Marcus calls me. He turns over Ax and I am way behind. A three hits on the turn and I double up. A couple of hand later I have AJ suited (spades). The flop brings two spades. I raise all-in and get Russ to call. The river brings my fifth spade. I again double up. At this point we draw again for tables.

I draw table one seat 3. At my table are (to my left) Lindsey, Jeremy, April, and Slayre. All I recall about this table was that I kept getting 42o. There is not much you can do with 42o. The only other thing I recall is the quad 5’s. Lindsey needs to audition for a major motion picture, because she definitely had Jeremy baffled. There was one hand where I had a pocket pair. April made a nice raise. I pondered was she making a move or did she have me. I folded. In her blog she states she had a ten. Unfortunately now I do not recall the board, perhaps KQT. She had me!!

Soon we were down to the final table, which I believe was 8 players. To my left were Adam, Russ, Madroxx, Jeremy, April, John, and Lindsey. Scott was the dealer. Soon after the table formed Jeremy and Slayre were eliminated. The realization came that we were down to the bubble. I believe my chip stack was close to Adam’s, but we were definitely short stacked. Adam went all-in with I believe a pair of nines. Madroxx (chip lead) called. Madroxx caught a ten on the river and knocked Adam out on the bubble. Madroxx had numerous outs, but it was a bummer the host finished on the bubble.

I did double up when my A9o was called by Lindsey and A6o. My final stand came with A9s (clubs). April did the instant call, so I knew I was in trouble. She turned over pocket Cowboys. No ace magically appeared and I finished in 5th place. It was an absolute blast.

By the way April did make some awesome chocolate chip cookies. I tried to be good and only eat one, but soon it turned into 6 cookies. She also made rice crispy treats.

Mark did offer me a Heineken, but I stuck with my diet Mountain Dew. When I have a cough the hops in the beer can aggravate the cough. I must admit the Guinness hit the spot and I wish I had not spilled a full beer. I think that was the only alcohol abuse at the tournament.

General observations –

Everyone was nice!

Adam runs a great tournament!

I finally met April, who almost causes as much loss of work production as Iggy. I feel lost without all of her links to Austin blogs.

I finally met the famous Jeremy, who used to work for the start up company that was bought by my current employer. I loved his style of play and table banter. The legend at Whisperwire lives on! He definitely made the table fun and got me to relax a bit.

I did not realize that a player sitting at the final table was the author of Slayre’s Poker Quest. I had the impression that he had to work and would not be there.

I met other bloggers (sorry to those I do not remember):

ScurvyDog, BurntOrange, Mike, Jaxia, and Madroxx.

At times I played way too conservative. I need to learn to push when someone shows signs of weakness.

I folded the hammer twice. I did see April play it successfully into a raise. It was beautiful when she showed the cards. The only other hammer I saw was the last hand of the tournament. Unfortunately it came up on the short end.

I need to purchase the long version of “Freebird”, because two tournaments in a row I heard at least part of this song and I placed in the money!

I am also incredibly superstitious as to what I should wear to a poker tournament. I did include my Grandfather’s necklace, so that may have been the extra boost I needed.

Congratulations to Madroxx for a tournament well played.

I had a fantastic time and it certainly beat yard work. I wish I could have stuck around and obliged Scott in a cash game. But he of all people knows what it means to promise your wife something. I made my pit stop at Fiesta to buy coconuts, then proceeded to Lowes to buy paint. I then met my lovely wife at Sam’s and I helped load the groceries into the van. I was starving so we listened to the kids and had a wonderful dinner from McDonalds (NOT!).

Play on!

No comments: