Monday, September 12, 2005

"Soccer Great, Poker not so Great"

The U6 Bobcats played great on Saturday and had fun! The U9 Clash played great and won their first game. The soccer experience was great!

Saturday went to some friends for steaks and tequila. Yes that is a great combination. We watched the Longhorns win the big game. I got home and was ready for some poker action. I popped open another beer. Of course I was already feeling no pain. I plopped down $4 in $.05/.10 NL table. There was a bully at the table. I knew I would catch him. I was dealt pocket 8's in the small blind. He raised, so I went all-in. I knew he was possibly playing over cards. An ace hit on the river and I was correct he was playing AKo. Quickly down $4. I reloaded. I get dealt pocket Q's. Flop brings 69T. I raise all-in. Turn is 8. The river is a 7, placing a straight on the board. I believe I am going to chop. Wrong, the other player had J7o. Now I am down 8 bucks. Somewhere in this story I sat down at a $.50/1.00 limit game and promptly lost another $8.

I decide to play in the NL tournament, which I buy-in for player points. I was down to about $800 and I go all-in. I lost, so I did a rebuy for $3. I held my own for a long time. I was dealt a pair of J's. The flop came 36T rainbow. I go all-in. I get called by a player with a pair of ladies. I finish in 5th place. Geez! If I could of held on for 3rd I would have broken even for the night. Instead I suffered a large loss. At least large for me!

I am sure there is a lesson in there somewhere, but I do not think I played poorly. Perhaps it was the overwhelming confidence I had after the Longhorn victory and the fairy dust our friends daughter gave me. I mean who can lose with "fairy dust"!

Play on!

No comments: