Friday, September 02, 2005

"Thieves"

I just had to fire off another quick post. I just put 15 gallons of gas in the van at a cost of $50. Here is what is puzzling me.

Monday the local 7-11 has a tanker truck fill their store with gasoline product. For this argument lets assume that they paid $2/gallon and are charging $2.50/gallon. On Tuesday there is a hurricane in Louisiana. Now on Thursday they are charging $3.10/gallon. Seems to me that the profit margin doubles. Do stations get a tanker truck daily? I don't think so. It is probably weekly. So next week another tanker arrives to fill the station, but this time the 7-11 pays $2.80/gallon. Now I think they might have the right to charge $3.20/gallon, maintaining a consistent profit margin.

I have no clue if these numbers are real, but I find it amazing that stations can raise and lower their prices simply based on what happens in the media and the stock market.

Yes my prayers go out to all the people impacted by the hurricane. I saw a photo from Atlanta where a store was charging $5.95/gallon. Is that gouging or what?

Yes we need to get off our dependency on oil. Perhaps it is this type of catastophe that will cause everyone to think of a creative solution. I would certainly at some point love to drive a safe car that gets 50+ mpg or take efficient public transportation. For some reason I doubt I will see that any time soon.

I am really pumped about the poker tournament tomorrow. Althought it will cost me $10 round trip (he-he)! Bitch, bitch, bitch! I am bummed in that I have a cough, which means I may end up drinking diet sodas and not consuming all of Scott's Patron.

Ciao!

No comments: