Monday, September 26, 2005

"Bubble Bubble toil and Trouble"

I just finished playing in a 6 person SNG. I had a lucky suck out with AK. I was all-in and up against pocket kings. The board brought 4 spades and I had the nut flush. I felt I played flawlessly until this hand.

I had A9s. The flop came 459. Now I have four on a flush and top pair. I raise. I get put all-in. The player turned over AA and I got no lovin! Out on the bubble! Net loss for the night was $11.

Last night I played in a NL ring game here in Austin. It was very entertaining. I think in 4.5 hours of play I had 6 playable hands. The good news is that I played patiently and pocketed $20. Not a huge windfall, but a win is a win. Here are some of the hands I remember.

I am in the BB with 53 hearts. The hosts raises. I need to defend the BB, so I call the raise. It turns out the host skipped a player when he raised. She said what about me. We pretended as though she checked and let her call the raises. The board came 537 spades, which gave me two pair. I figured the host (Puppy Feet) had an over pair. My gut was telling me though that another spade was about to hit the board. I mucked two pair. My gut was correct in that the fourth spade hit on the river. The lady Puppy Feet skipped had the nut flush. He was not happy and lost half his stack.

I remember raising with AJo and AQo only to get reraised. I was correct to muck both times when the flop brought no emergency assistance. I also had pocket tens once and pocket sixes once.

Once I limped in on the BB with J3o. The flop came JJ4. I bet only to be raised. I called. Turn did not improve my hand. I thought I was up against another J with a better kicker. I called a modest bet on turn. The raiser checked on the river. I thought about popping back for more money. In hind site I should have, but it was a decent sized pot and I took it down with 3 hooks.

Another hand I had QT of diamonds in the small blind. I was able to limp in. The flop came 8d9d and and Js. Flopped the nut straight. I raised $5 and got one caller. I had a flush draw, a straight flush possible and the nut straight. The turn brought another J. A little scary but I continued to press with $5. I got called. The river brought the 2 of diamonds, giving me the flush. I thought I might be in trouble, but I popped back for $5. He folded and I raked about $30 in one hand. It was sweet. At this point I went in to super conservative mode. I was listening to Scott and only moving with the nuts. I really went card dead. I did not get another hand the rest of the night. I took a couple shots from the BB and button, but my raises always got called or popped back. I had good reads everytime and mucked.

Once I was in the BB with K9 of clubs. The flop brought K78. I bet $5 and got raised $28. I figured he had two pair or a made set. I mucked! Hey showed his cards 78. Whew!

Funny thing was that I never showed my cards. The only lady at the table wanted us to show cards. I kept my play a secret, which is the smart move.

One interesting hand happened and I was not involved. One player went all in with a King on the board. Their was an instant call from a player. The player had pocket kings and had made a boat on the turn. The river brought the fourth King. Sweet.

The Guinness was great! The host was great! All the players were fun and courteous. A few flipped cards from the fan, but other than that a great game. Hopefully I can do that again!

I am taking the day off tomorrow to play golf with my parents. I am pumped! We are playing Star Ranch, which is a new track for me.

Play on!

No comments: